They only problem is I spent all my allowance over the weekend on a new football because some kid stole mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
May name is A.J. and I hate school.
The only cool part of Ella Mentry School is the school store. It’s a little room near the office where they sell stuff. Mostly they have pencils and pens and junk like that. They never have anything useful, like skateboards or video games. Still, it’s cool to buy stuff when you’re at school.
The school store is open in the morning before the bell rings. The only problem is I spent all my allowance over the weekend on a new football because some kid stole mine. So I didn’t even have a dime to buy anything at the school store. Bummer in the summer!

Source: My Weird School 16 - Ms Coco Is Loco, Dan Gutman

These are the very first lines of the book to introduce the background of the story.
I'd like to know whether it's necessary for the verb “is” in the sentence in red to be “was” to agree with the tense of the other verbs: spent, stole and didn’t have.

Last edited:

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher.

This looks like a typo. I think it was supposed to be the. Swapping is with was wouldn't improve the sentence.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, that's a typo. I've corrected it. Thank you, stanislaw.masny.

Status
Not open for further replies.