This construction is the only one where we find a nominative subject in a non-finite clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1.6 Case of the subject NP in gerund-participials
Nominative or plain case in non-complement gerund-participials

Gerund-participials functioning as supplement to a clause may contain a subject; pronouns with a nominative-accusative contrast usually appear in the nominative, with accusative a somewhat marginal alternant in informal style, while other NPs take plain case:

This construction is the only one where we find a nominative subject in a non-finite clause; it belongs to fairly formal style, and hence the informal accusative form in is unlikely: the alternation here is not like that between It’s I/me, where the accusative is much more common.
[64] i They appointed Max, [he/him being the only one who spoke Greek].
ii [His mother being ill,]Max had to withdraw from the expedition.

Source: The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, 2016 edition, P1191, P1192

I don’t quite understand this sentence:
This construction is the only one where we find a nominative subject in a non-finite clause.

Does it mean we can only find “nominative subject + doing phrase”, but we can’t find “nominative subject + done phrase”, “nominative subject + adj. phrase”, “nominative subject + adv. phrase” or “nominative subject + prepositional phrase”?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Which construction is this referring to? Your post isn't clear. Upload a photo of the relevant page, perhaps.

Does it mean we can only find “nominative subject + doing phrase”, but we can’t find “nominative subject + done phrase”, “nominative subject + adj. phrase”, “nominative subject + adv. phrase” or “nominative subject + prepositional phrase”?

I don't understand the question. Try asking again more clearly, with some examples.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think this construction refers to the one like the two examples: "he/him being the only one who spoke Greek" and "His mother being ill", the so-called absolute construction.
Let me try to ask more clearly.
Does the author mean that we can only find the absolute construction in the form of “nominative subject + doing phrase”, where the second part only can be a present participle, not other forms: the past participle, adj. phrase, adv. phrase, noun phrase or prepositional phrase, etc.”?

Here are the two pages.
3681d0d1f4ebc213d2b7a32dca6bf4a.jpg94f460b57747eb9ad45758f6a7c0653.jpg

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It means that we only use he/she + ing in this particular kind of construction.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That is to say, we can’t find “he/she + done”, “he/she + adj.”, “he/she + adv.”, “he/she + noun”, or “he/she + prepositional phrase”. Do I understand you correctly?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, it means you can't say he being anywhere else. You have to say him being or his being.

Status
Not open for further replies.