This moment, someone drew their attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I often narrate in the present tense (stylistic preference). I have just noticed that I often use the expression that moment, and I wonder whether in a present-tense narration, I should replace it with this moment. Personally, I feel that combining that moment with a present-tense narration has an exciting emotional effect, especially in horror books (which is the genre I'm writing these days), but if you think it's wrong grammatically, I'll change it. What do you think? For example, in the sentence below ...

John is about to reply, but, this moment/that moment, someone draws the two kids' attention. (John is one of the two kids by the way.)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"This moment" won't work in the above, because "this moment" refers to your time of speaking. Consider also "right then" in that sentence.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
"This moment" won't work in the above, because "this moment" refers to your time of speaking. Consider also "right then" in that sentence.
So, is That moment wrong?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure why you need the phrase in bold at all. He was about to say something, but someone distracted him. So he didn't. Instead he paid attention to something else.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
It's wrong without "at" before it.

John is about to reply but, at that [exact] moment, someone ...
I feel that that moment without at sounds more sudden. Are you sure it's wrong? I think I have seen it somewhere.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I feel that that moment without at sounds more sudden. Are you sure it's wrong? I think I have seen it somewhere.
Well, if you work out where you've seen it, please post a link and I'll comment on the usage. Until then, I'm sticking with "It's wrong".

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Well, if you work out where you've seen it, please post a link and I'll comment on the usage. Until then, I'm sticking with "It's wrong".
Post #13 ...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Post #13 ...
I'd reread that thread. Absolute rules are hard to form, and this thread is far from conclusive. Language usage is often messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.