Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Could anyone please tell me what does the underlined part mean?
and

what does the second underlined part mean?

These efforts resulted in significant ground loss as free flowing sand, above the water table, ran into the machine during the process of catching and removing the boulder. Polyurethane grouts, were injected into the soil from the face of the TBM, in an unsuccessful effort in stabilizing the granular material. This was due in part because the machine was not configured for advance grouting, so only a limited portion of the face could be treated from the TBM.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It would seem to depend on what "TBM" is. I have no idea.

**Not a teacher**
TBM - Tunnel Boring Machine - A machine used to excavate tunnels with a circular cross section through a variety of soil and rock strata.

A "face" is an expanse of exposed rock. It sounds like they were trying to essesntially glue the granual rock in place and stop it from flowing so easily, using this grout, but the machine wasn't really set up to do this, so it was only partially successful.

I understand groundwater a lot more than I do solid materials unders the surface, so I may be completely wrong.

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me what does the underlined part mean?
and

what does the second underlined part mean?

These efforts resulted in significant ground loss as free flowing sand, above the water table, ran into the machine during the process of catching and removing the boulder. Polyurethane grouts, were injected into the soil from the face of the TBM, in an unsuccessful effort in stabilizing the granular material. This was due in part because the machine was not configured for advance grouting, so only a limited portion of the face could be treated from the TBM.

Thanks.

The beginning of your last sentence is incorrect.

"This was due in part to the machine not being configured for...".

Could anyone please tell me what [strike]does[/strike] the underlined part means?

See my corrections to your question construction above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back