to catch sb's attention, to capture sb's attention, to get sb's attention, to attract sb's attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Does "catch sb's attention", "capture sb's attention", "get sb's attention", "attract sb's attention" mean almost the same? For example, are the following sentences equal?

• 1. A sign on the wall caught my attention.
  • 2. A sign on the wall captured my attention.
  • 3. A sign on the wall got my attention.
  • 4. A sign on the wall attracted my attention.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does Do "catch sb's somebody's attention", "capture sb's somebody's attention", "get sb's somebody's attention" no comma here and "attract sb's somebody's attention" mean almost the same? For example, are the following sentences equal?
  • 1. A sign on the wall caught my attention.
  • 2. A sign on the wall captured my attention.
  • 3. A sign on the wall got my attention.
  • 4. A sign on the wall attracted my attention.

Note my corrections above. Dictionaries use shortened words such as "sb" because space in a dictionary is at a premium. We have the benefit of no such restrictions here so please write all words out in full.

I feel a very slight difference between them. #3 (got my attention) is a general statement. #4 (attracted my attention) is similar but I would assume that the sign was, in some way, attractive! #1 (caught my attention) suggests a sudden effect. #2 (captured my attention) suggests that it caught and held your attention.

I think the fact that you asked if they mean "almost the same" suggests that you already understand that changing one word in a sentence will almost always lead to at least a slight variation in meaning.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you. You wrote: "I feel a very slight difference between them.", I accept that and I will be using them interchangeably but also keep in mind that sometimes I be able to make a mistake. The most important thing is that there is not a huuuuge difference between them so everyone should understand me. :)

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

To me, it feels like caught, got and attracted are a bit closer in meaning in this context (caught attention either for a short period of time or an unspecified period of time - doesn't matter for how long), and captured is the one that stands out here (captured attention for a long period of time). Although, there's not much difference anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.