Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am not sure if this post belongs here or Other Languages. Please, do move it if necessary.

This is a meme that was very popular in Poland.

The young man is interviewed with "what are you going to be doing on New Year's Eve?", to which he replies with a stereotypical simpleton accent (either on purpose or because that's how he speaks), which is composed of two misprinunciations of Polish words followed by /tomp raɪder/ (Tomb Rider).

Below is my attempt to translate and transcribe what he said, keeping as closely to the context as I could:

Interviewer: "We are asking the citizens of [name of the town] where they're going to spend the New Year's Eve this year [sic!]. How will you spend the New Year's Eve(, sir)?
Interviewee: "I'll be playing a game" /ɑ bi pleɪn ə ɡeɪm/.
Interviewer: "What game?"
Interviewee: "Tomb Rider" /tomp raɪder/.

Can this meme be used to help learners remember how the words tomb and catacomb are not pronounced?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Possibly. For some Polish speakers already familiar with the meme, perhaps. Used how, exactly?

What value is there in teaching someone how not to do something?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What value is there in teaching someone how not to do something?

Perhaps if someone is persistent in keeping the wrong pronunciation we could show this meme. The source of its popularity was the laughable manner in which he answered. To encourage remembering that this is not how to do it.

EDIT:

A bit of ridiculous is also a component of this meme. The words grał - play, and grę - game sound similar to the ear (unlike in English, so it's near-impossible to translate) that his sentence is tautologous, and is very unlikely to be heard because it sounds ungrammatical. The verb grać - to play can and even should be intransitive in this sentence.

Last edited:

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Just teach that in all words in English that end with -mb, the b is not pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.