Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The question below is based on the Russian TV series The Тёлки.

Two detectives are discussing the murder they are investigating. They mention they will have to release some suspects.
Then one of the detectives says: "They (suspects) trick us like children." He means that the suspects are not telling the truth, trying to mislead them, etc.

Is the simple present (trick) correct here, or should I use the present continuous?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you sure he doesn't say "They're treating us like children?" Your suggested translation isn't natural with "trick", in any tense.

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Are you sure he doesn't say "They're treating us like children?" Your suggested translation isn't natural with "trick", in any tense.

Well, as for the verb tense, in Russian, we don't differentiate between the present simple and the present continuous - we only have the present simple.

The meaning of the original Russian phrase is: By saying things like, "I dont know", "I wasn't there", "I don't know how the knife from my flat ended up in his car", etc. the suspects try to convince the police they are completely innocent (not guilty), have nothing to do with the crime and should be released if they are detained/arrested (in case they are not detained/arrested, they shouldn't be treated like suspects).

Do I understand correctly that "treating us like children" is better and more natural in the above context?

By the way, in Scary movie, there is a dialogue between Cindy and the Sheriff:

Sheriff: Cindy, I want to ask you some questions about Drew Decker.
Cindy: I didn't really know her.
Sheriff: Oh, come on. Sure you do.
Cindy: No. I mean, I didn't really know her.
Sheriff: I've been in this game a long time. Don't bullshit a bullshitter.

Would "They're bullshiiting us like children" work?

Status
Not open for further replies.