Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello, I was reading an article from The New Yorker and I wonder what 'underneath the rock' means in this sentence.Thank you in advance!

'In the spring of 1946, George Orwell, writing in the London Tribune, opened with a view fromunderneath the rock: In a cold but stuffy bed-sitting room littered with cigarette ends and half-empty cups of tea, a man in a moth-eaten dressing-gown sits at a rickety table, trying......'

Link of the article if needed:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/07/critics-in-the-age-of-opinion

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome, K!

Good question.

He meant the lowest level of society, the dregs, the bottom of the barrel, the pits.

I would disagree with that interpretation, you appear to be thinking about Down and Out in Paris and London rather than the quoted essay Confessions of a Book Reviewer.

A perfunctory reading of the essay (available here) gives the impression of Orwell buried, in a metaphorical sense, by the volume of work that his editor was expecting. Having had to deal with similar volumes of CDs, from the other side of the editor's desk, I can appreciate his feelings and the points that he made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would disagree with that interpretation, you appear to be thinking about Down and Out in Paris and London rather than the quoted essay Confessions of a Book Reviewer.

A perfunctory reading of the essay (available here) gives the impression of Orwell burried, in a metaphorical sense, by the volume of work that his editor was expecting. Having had to deal with similar volumes of CDs, from the other side of the editor's desk, I can appreciate his feelings and the points that he made.
You're right. I was thinking of Down and Out. I think I have Confessions, too.

Now excuse me while I delete my post! . . .

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I would disagree with that interpretation. You appear to be thinking about Down and Out in Paris and London rather than the quoted essay
That's yet another comma-splice error from you Peter. I'm surprised you're still making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.