Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello, today I had an english exam and I used a phrase "vast vocabulary" which the teacher corrected to "extensive vocabulary". Are they not synonyms? Is it a mistake or are both options suitable? Thank you for your replies!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, today I had an English exam and I used [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the phrase "vast vocabulary" which the teacher corrected to "extensive vocabulary". Are they not synonyms? Is it a mistake or are both options suitable? Thank you for your replies!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my couple of corrections above. I agree with your teacher. However, it's difficult to explain why. You're partially right about "vast" and "extensive" being synonyms but only in certain contexts. Sometimes, an adjective only naturally collocates with some nouns and this is one of those situations. We refer to people having an extensive vocabulary, a huge vocabulary, a wide vocabulary, a large vocabulary, an impressive vocabulary, a small vocabulary (and other things) but, for a reason I can't quite put my finger on, we don't say they have a vast vocabulary, a mighty vocabulary, a mammoth vocabulary (and other things).

Note that I randomly picked some of the synonyms for "vast" listed at the top of THIS page.

Status
Not open for further replies.