Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
I go to a supermarket which has a sign in front of the entrance which says: 'We do not authorize solicitation by this organization'.

I don't understand what it means. I think maybe it is supposed to mean people aren't allowed to solicit other people in our supermarket. But it doesn't seem to say that. If it does, then I can't parse it.

What does it mean?

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, Teechar,

I doubt that.

https://flic.kr/p/fcxftf
I do my shopping in another city in the US, but I think the sign is the same. Actually, I think the sign is the same all over the US.

Maybe 'by' means 'in the close vicinity of'?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As it's written, it means they do not allow their own organization to solicit. While that might make sense as some kind of warning to the public to be on guard against scammers/imposters soliciting under the guise of the company name, it doesn't make sense for them to essentially apologize to the would-be scammers/imposters.

I agree that it's probably intended to be a prohibition against charity solicitors, which are especially common during the holiday seasons. In fact the Salvation Army standing outside a major store ringing their hand bells, with their red aprons and red donation bucket has become a key indicator of the beginning of the holiday season in the US.

In fact, it's now even considered an expression of community service to volunteer as a bell ringer. Personally, I just watch to punch them in the face and crush their bell under my heel.

That image is what makes me smile at them as I walk by.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If we interpret 'by' as 'in the vicinity of', it's OK.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We have a somewhat similar situation here in Canada. When we use a human cashier as opposed to self-checkout at our local supermaket they often ask if we will add a dollar or two to our bill as a contribution to some charitable organization. I find it slightly annoying and offensive and sometimes suggest they ask their CEO for a donation instead of me, given that his late parents bequeathed hundreds of millions of dollars to him.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If we interpret 'by' as 'in the vicinity of', it's OK.
Granted, but then it sounds odd paired with 'organization', instead of something like store/building/business.