Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
. . . From the club to Mr. Havens's residence was but a step or two, and to any dweller in Europe they must have seemed steps in fairyland. If such an one could but have followed our friends into the wide verandahed house, sat down with them in the cool trellised room, where the wine shone on the lamp-lighted tablecloth; tasted of their exotic food - the raw fish, the breadfruit, the cooked bananas, the roast pig, served with the inimitable miti, and that king of delicacies palmtree salad; seen and heard by fits and starts, now peering round the corner of the door, now railing within against invisible assistants, a certain comely young native lady in a sacque, who seemed too modest to be a member of the family, and too imperious to be less, and then if such an one were whisked again through space to Upper Tooting, or wherever else he honoured the domestic gods, "I have had a dream," I think he would say, as he sat up, rubbing his eyes, in the familiar chimney-corner chair, "I have had a dream of a place, and I declare I believe it must be heaven." But to Dodd and his entertainer, all this amenity of the tropic night, and all these dainties of the island table, were grown things of custom; and they fell to meat like men who were hungry, and drifted into idle talk like men who were a trifle bored.
. . .
(Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne, The Wrecker, Prologue - In The Marquesas)

What is the meaning of "be whisked to (a place)" in this context? Is there a synonym?

Last edited:

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Yes, thank you. However I can't see much relationship between "remove" or "take someone away" and the context at hand, I'm afraid. In my opinion there must be a more flowery or embellished interpretation that fits the diction of this passage. I'd like to get a synonym that covers the proper meaning but covers the tenor and style of this embroidering text as well.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Dictionary definitions provide the basic, literal meaning. They can't provide for every possible context in which a word may be used. In actual usage, a word may have nuances that the dictionary definition may not convey. Sometimes you have to use your imagination to figure out how a definition applies to a given context. This probably applies to every language.

if such an one were whisked again through space to Upper Tooting,

... if such a person were to be suddenly picked up and transported/teleported and put in a different place, like Upper Tooting ...

He's saying that if such a person were to be suddenly moved from this dream-like place and back to a regular normal area like Upper Tooting (a place in London, I believe, just used as an example here) in an instant, they would probably say to themselves, "I had a dream (that I was in heaven)".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.