Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm an English student and i try to improve my writing and speaking.I want to know:

when we use do/did in wh questions.

for Ex:Who brought the paper inside why don't we say"who did brought the paper inside?"

Whom did you want me to contact? why don't we say"whom you want me to contact?"

If there is any rules let me know and is this rule use for other wh question like as: why,when,where?

I'm very appreciated for your responce

Regards
Eslami

I'm an English student and I am trying to improve my writing and speaking. (Space after a full stop) I want to know (no colon required here) when we use do/did in wh- questions.

For [STRIKE]Ex[/STRIKE] example: (space here) "Who brought the paper inside?" Why don't we say (space here) "Who did brought the paper inside?"

"Whom did you want me to contact?" Why don't we say (space here) "Whom you want me to contact?"

If there is[STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] a [STRIKE]rules[/STRIKE] rule, please let me know. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Is this rule used for other wh- questions like [STRIKE]as:[/STRIKE] "why, (space here) when, (space here) where​"?

I'm very [STRIKE]appreciated[/STRIKE] grateful for your [STRIKE]responce[/STRIKE] responses.

[STRIKE]Regards[/STRIKE] Unnecessary
[STRIKE]Eslami[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Your username is shown on the thread.

As you are trying to improve your written English, please see my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate, punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Put a space after a colon if it introduces a list.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Estami:

The rules have been given to you by the teacher in post #2.

I have made up some sentences for you to study.

Who told you that I was sick? (subject of "told")
Who taught you English? (subject of "taught")
Who made all that noise last night? (subject of "made")

Whom did you live with when you were young? (object of "with")
Whom did your sister marry? (object of the verb phrase "did marry")
Whom did you see at the party? (object of the verb phrase "did see")

NOTES:

1. As the teacher explained, "whom" in my last three sentences is often changed to "who" in ordinary speech and writing.

2. It is possible to say "Who did bring the paper inside?" if you want to emphasize the question:

Father: I was getting ready to go outside and get the paper when I discovered that it was already inside. Who brought the paper inside?

Mother: Well, I didn't.

Son: I didn't, either.

Daughter: Don't look at me. I have just gotten up.

Father: Well, then, who did bring the paper inside? A ghost?

Thanks alot

Thank you. It was so helpful.
Now another question, Why did you edit appreciated and wrote grateful instead of?

Why did you edit appreciated and wrote grateful instead [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE]?
It would have been correct if you had written 'I'm very appreciative for' instead of 'appreciated of', but 'grateful for' is more natural.

Thanks a lot.

Another question, In some texts, I saw this sentence "Are you going to study English tomorrow?" But answer was "yes,I plan to study English tomorrow."
The answer isn't in future but in simple present,why? simple present is use with "tomorrow". May i know why? and when this way of writing is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back