[Vocabulary] What does "curate the curriculum" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matatabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello everyone, I am having an English class and my teacher asked me to write something about "Students can curate their curriculum in college."

I am confused about what is "curate their curriculum". Cambridge dictionary tells me that "curate" has these meanings:
1. to be in charge of selecting and caring for objects to be shown in a museum or to form part of a collection of art, an exhibition, etc.
2. to be in charge of selecting films, performers, events, etc. to be included in a festival
3. to select things such as documents, music, products, or internet content to be included as part of a list or collection, or on a website

But I don't think these meanings are suitable. Can anyone explain to me what is "curate their curriculum" ? Thank you so much.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, matatabi.:)

Did your teacher not make it clear what you have to do?

Can you eliminate any of the definitions you have found?

Are you going to be in charge of selecting and caring for things in a museum?

Are you going to in charge of selecting films, performers and events at a festival?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They will control it and decide on the contents, rather than having it imposed by the university and their lecturers.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The word does seem to have become more "fashionable" during this century with its meaning being extended to usages like that mentioned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.