Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sir,

I tried to look for the meaning of semantics. Dictionary says,
Linguistic semantic concerned with the analysis of the word meanings and their relations, while logical semantic concerns with matters such as reference, sense and implication.

I am unable to understand the word even after studying its meaning and unable to use it in sentences.
For instance:
But semantics aside, probe's journey is entirely remarkable. what does semantic mean here?? Does the phrase is saying keep results aside but the work done by probe is excellent?
similarly
We might put this point by saying that the computer has a syntax but no semantics . What does semantics mean here??

Kindly help me to understand this word so that i can use it in my sentences with proper understanding.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Semantics" is about meaning. What things mean and what meaning people attach to things.

In the first example, it means something like "it doesn't matter what meaning you attach to the probe (or what you call it), it is still remarkable."

I don't know what the second example is supposed to mean. When you type commands into a computer, they have a meaning.

9pointer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I wasn't able to understand the the main idea of the word. Now, it's very clear. Thank you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.