[Vocabulary] What does "terrible" mean in this context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisstte

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Dear All,

could you help me, please, to understand the meaning of "terrible singing voice" in this context? Is it awfully tuneless, unmusical? Or maybe thunderous, throaty?

"Music was Dad’s passion. He played guitar and whistle, and we spent a few summers in ear-splitting discomfort when he tried and failed to learn the pipes. He loved a good rousing Jacobite song, belting out in his terrible singing voice the praises of Bonnie Prince Charlie, while the rest of us tapped our feet and laughed."

Lauren Westwood "My mother's silence"

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, krisstte.:)

[STRIKE]Dear All,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Just go ahead and ask your question.

Could you help me, please, to understand the meaning of "terrible singing voice" in this context? Is it awfully tuneless, unmusical? Or maybe thunderous, throaty?

"Music was Dad’s passion. He played guitar and whistle, and we spent a few summers in ear-splitting discomfort when he tried and failed to learn the pipes. He loved a good rousing Jacobite song, belting out in his terrible singing voice the praises of Bonnie Prince Charlie, while the rest of us tapped our feet and laughed."

Lauren Westwood "My Mother's Silence".

[STRIKE]Thank you very much![/STRIKE] Just click the 'Thank' button after you get a useful reply.
His singing voice could have had any combination of the features you suggest – or all of them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
All we know for sure is that listening to him sing was a terrible experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.