What does the idiom "through the prism" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Several hours ago, I came across the idiom "through the prism of sth/sb" in my studies and looked up said phrase on the internet. I only managed to find one entry entitled "Through The Prism of The Prism?" on englishforums.com.

User "Blue Jay" responded to the OP's question with this:
  • If you look at something through a prism, it will change how you see it. Here it is used figuratively, to indicate that her view or opinion of the past was affected by the circumstances, ideas, opinions etc. of the present. She viewed the past from the point of view of someone in the present
Some more examples to highlight the contextual use of this phrase:

1) "Viewed through the prism of 9/11, heightened security at airports is critical to deterring terrorism".
2) "They were forced to imagine the disaster through the prism of television".
3) Joe viewed the world through what at the time would have been considered a prism of realism.

I still fail to understand this idiom's meaning. Would someone please elaborate on this idiomatic phrase? Additionally, would someone explain in what context is it appropriate to use this phrase and in which context is it not appropriate to use this phrase?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Think of a prism as a kind of lens—a way of looking at the world. When you wear glasses, you don't see the world as it really is. Your subjective view is just one way of looking at things among lots of different ways to look at things, and 'through the prism of X' is just one way to do so.

This lens could be a certain ideology, or a certain philosophical standpoint, or a certain perceptual experience, or a certain experiential perspective, among other things.

dragonia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@jutfrank So this lens/prism can be perceived as a medium that shapes or alters your perception/views/understanding on something via the borrowing of someone else's thoughts/views/experiences?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@jutfrank So this lens/prism can be perceived as a medium that shapes or alters your perception/views/understanding on something

Basically, yes.

via the borrowing of someone else's thoughts/views/experiences?

Not necessarily through someone else's thoughts/views/experiences. Looking through a particular lens is just one way of looking at something. It doesn't have to be a single other person's way.

Cassy0110

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
United States
I suppose it means that you understand the world with your own view.

I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
@Cassy0110

The forum rules provide that anyone may answer questions if they state that they are neither a teacher nor a native speaker. I have edited your post by adding the necessary disclaimer.

Secondly, I concur with the interpretation given by @jutfrank.

sadida

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

Several hours ago, I came across the idiom "through the prism of sth/sb" in my studies and looked up said phrase on the internet. I only managed to find one entry entitled "Through The Prism of The Prism?" on englishforums.com.

User "Blue Jay" responded to the OP's question with this:
  • If you look at something through a prism, it will change how you see it. Here it is used figuratively, to indicate that her view or opinion of the past was affected by the circumstances, ideas, opinions etc. of the present. She viewed the past from the point of view of someone in the present
Some more examples to highlight the contextual use of this phrase:

1) "Viewed through the prism of 9/11, heightened security at airports is critical to deterring terrorism".
2) "They were forced to imagine the disaster through the prism of television".
3) Joe viewed the world through what at the time would have been considered a prism of realism.

I still fail to understand this idiom's meaning. Would someone please elaborate on this idiomatic phrase? Additionally, would someone explain in what context is it appropriate to use this phrase and in which context is it not appropriate to use this phrase?
Not a teacher

I believe "the prism" is a setup that corresponds to a specific situation or ideology.
So when the phrase "through the prism of sth" is used the speaker is essentially viewing something in light of that "sth".

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello @sadida and welcome to the forum. For future reference please note that in this forum we use only standard English. Chatlish abbreviations like sth for something are not to be used here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@sadida I have added "Not a teacher" to the start of your response. Please add this each time you attempt to answer another learner's question. You can, in due course, make it your signature line so you don't have to add it manually each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.