Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
All of them were taken on a guarded tour of the State Bedrooms.

This sentence is taken from Collins Cobuild Usage Dictionary. But the Chinese version of this dictionary translates the word State into Royal. I suspect the phrase 'the state bedrooms' are large and comfortable bedrooms on a ship for those passengers who can afford them. Am I right?

the Chinese version of this dictionary translates the word State into Royal.
In my Oxford English-Chinese dictionary, there is no such translation.

Not a teacher.

All of them were taken on a guarded tour of the State Bedrooms.

This sentence is taken from Collins Cobuild Usage Dictionary. But the Chinese version of this dictionary translates the word State into Royal. I suspect the phrase 'the state bedrooms' are large and comfortable bedrooms on a ship for those passengers who can afford them. Am I right?

Setting aside the fact that the Chinese version of the dictionary (incorrectly) translates "State" into "Royal", what makes you think that "state bedrooms" are only on a ship?

the Chinese version of the dictionary (incorrectly) translates "State" into "Royal"
Both my Oxford and Longman English-Chinese dictionaries do not translate so, the OP might have misread something.

what makes you think that "state bedrooms" are only on a ship?
Do they also exist in upscale hotels?

I wouldn't say they exist on either ships or hotels. For me, the phrase "state bedrooms" denotes the bedrooms inside the house/residence of the head of state (president, monarch etc).

Setting aside the fact that the Chinese version of the dictionary (incorrectly) translates "State" into "Royal", what makes you think that "state bedrooms" are only on a ship?

LONGMAN DICTIONARY:
stateroom: a passenger's private room, especially a large, comfortable one, on a ship

A stateroom is different from a State Bedroom.

Both my Oxford and Longman English-Chinese dictionaries do not translate so, the OP might have misread something.

The dictionary whose Chinese version I referred to is the Collins Cobuild Usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dictionary whose Chinese version I referred to is the Collins Cobuild Usage.
I just referred to the Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary (without Chinese translation), I could not find the word "Royal" under the entry "State".

Did emsr2d2 delete a URL posted by the OP above?

I just referred to the Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary (without Chinese translation), I could not find the word "Royal" under the entry "State".?
Can we stop worrying about which dictionary joham used? Joham has told us that it translates 'state' as 'royal', and ems has told us, rightly, that this is not correct.

But no, I did not delete a link (I wouldn't do that unless it went to an unacceptable site). I simply fixed the quote box HTML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back