[Vocabulary] What is the meaning of "Brush passes" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hey guys hope you all are doing great.

In a movie some old men were talking about technology and one of them said: "Don't you miss the old good days with pay phones and brush passes?"

What did he mean by "Brush passes"?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've been thinking hard about this question, without success. But I just noticed that a moderator edited the question in a way that altered its meaning. I still have no answer for either the pre- or the post- moderated question, but I feel that the moderator who changed the question must have an idea that has not been shared with us.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been thinking hard about this question, without success. But I just noticed that a moderator edited the question in a way that altered its meaning. I still have no answer for either the pre- or the post- moderated question, but I feel that the moderator who changed the question must have an idea that has not been shared with us.

I did not change all three instances of the word "passed", to "passes". The word appeared three times in the original post - twice it said "passes" and once it said "passed". I simply edited the post so that all three words read the same thing as clearly one of them was a typo by the OP.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[STRIKE]Hey guys hope you all are doing great.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

In a movie some old men were talking about technology and one of them said: "Don't you miss the old good days with pay phones and brush passes?"

What did he mean by "Brush passes"?

[STRIKE]Thank you in advance.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

A "brush pass", also known as "brush contact" is the term used to describe a brief
moment where two agents 'meet' and quickly exchange information, ..

(www.topspysecrets.com/spy-dictionary.html)

The two old men were probably retired spies.

Status
Not open for further replies.