[Idiom] What is the meaning of "Chicken time..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi guys, Hope you are doing well. I really appreciate if you help me find the meaning of this sentence. Thank you in advance.

10. In the movie "Apocalypse Now" When a ship is in the river and is moving, the crew heard something weird and one of them said: "Chicken time. You ain't sh*tting,bro. They're motherf*cking"

and after that another ship comes and tries to frighten them and throw something fiery, then the crew said: "what is that, what's going on?"

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi guys, Hope you are doing well. I really appreciate if you help me find the meaning of this sentence. Thank you in advance.

10. When the ship is moving, the crew heard something and one of them said: "Chicken time. You ain't sh*tting,bro. They're motherf*cking"

It is not possible to answer these questions you keep posting unless we are all watching the film together.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
bhaisahab here and Raymott (in another thread) have both made good points. You need to give context. You need to say that you are watching Apocalypse Now and that, in the scene you are quoting from, XXX is speaking to XXX about something that happened a few minutes ago. You might even need to explain what happened before the line and what happens after it. Single lines from film dialogue can't just be interpreted. I managed your last couple because they happened to be fairly self-explanatory and I also knew you were watching the film. You will need to put more info into your other questions. Please edit them all appropriately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Chicken can mean coward, so it could refer to something scary happening. You ain't sh*tting could mean something like you're telling the truth/not lying. They're motherf*cking suggests that they are doing something extreme. Other people may interpret things differently, and it is many years since I saw the film. Context, as others have said, is essential to working out meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.