What is there in that building? vs. What is in that building?

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Do we need to place "there" in the question in this conversation:
- The whole town lives in this building, it's their city.
- What is (there) in that building?
- Their grocery store, gym, police station, post office, school, mayor's office, etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do we need to place "there" in the question in this conversation?

- The whole town lives in this building; it's their city.
- What is (there) in that building?
- Their A grocery store, gym, police station, post office, school, the mayor's office, etc.
No, "there" is incorrect in that question. Note that the opening line is strange. A whole town (the entire population) can't possibly live in one building. People live in houses, flats etc. Also, a building that houses a grocery store, gym, police station, post office, school and the mayor's office would be ridiculously huge! I don't think it's what you mean at all but I can't work out what you do mean.

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would have been very helpful if you'd put that picture in post #1. Also, whenever you quote someone else's words (the first line of the conversation you wrote), you must provide the source. It's a legal requirement.

I'm staggered that all those things are in that one building but now that I know it's in Alaska, it makes a bit more sense. Presumably it gets so cold in winter, it's great not to have to go outdoors to get between the places you need to go.