[General] What's his usual English test scores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

In China the test score of English is usually 150. Last night I met Angela in an English club. She has a 14-year-old son. I asked some questions about her son and one question was "What are his usual English test scores?" I wonder if it's natural to ask it. Her son is a middle school student and students in middle take tests from time to time besides the midterm and the final.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's grammatically incorrect. You've used "What's" (contraction of "What is") at the start but ended with "scores" (plural noun). Fix that problem and we can comment on the naturalness of the resulting question.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In China the test score of English is usually 150.
Clarify that too. Do you mean that 150 is the maximum mark/score, or that students on average get 150 marks?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's grammatically incorrect. You've used "What's" (contraction of "What is") at the start but ended with "scores" (plural noun). Fix that problem and we can comment on the naturalness of the resulting question.

Done.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Clarify that too. Do you mean that 150 is the maximum mark/score, or that students on average get 150 marks?

The full score of each English test is 150 because the test includes many different parts: reading, writing, listening and so on.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

In China, the maximum English test score [STRIKE]of English[/STRIKE] is usually 150. Last night, I met Angela [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at an English club. She has a 14-year-old son. I asked some questions about her son and one [STRIKE]question[/STRIKE] was "What are his usual English test scores?" I wonder if it's natural to ask it. Her son is a middle school student [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] where students [STRIKE]in middle[/STRIKE] take occasional/ad hoc tests, [STRIKE]from time to time[/STRIKE] besides the midterm and the final exams.

Note my changes above. Thank you for correcting the subject/verb agreement. The question is grammatically correct. I would be more inclined to ask "What does he usually score in his English tests?"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . I asked some questions about her son, and one question was "What are his usual English test scores?" I wonder if it's natural to ask that. . . .
Yes, as you've corrected it, it's natural.

I've never noticed whether the British do this, but in the US, people often use there's when they mean there are — maybe because it's easier to say, as in: There's millions of mistakes you can make speaking English.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's the same in BE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's common in some contexts but I don't think this is one of them.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's common in some contexts but I don't think this is one of them.
Right. What's isn't there's.

I just though Silver would think it's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.