Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrase "we would not take it forward" appears to have two opposite meanings: (1) it means "we would not take the closure programme forward"; (2) it means "we would not take the site forward (meaning that the site would be closed)."

Logically, only (2) is possible. But is it clear to you at the first glance? (I took minutes to understand it).

======================
Kraft said while it was bidding for Cadbury that it would keep the plant open, but later changed its mind, announcing the site would close with the loss of 400 jobs.

Mr Firestone issued the first public apology since the closure was confirmed last month, telling the MPs: "We are sorry to the people who we disappointed. We fully understand that for over two years colleagues at Somerdale had been under a closure programme and our statement created uncertainty, and when we announced we would not take it forward, hopes were dashed. We are terribly sorry for that."

Source: Independent

The statement is poorly worded, but only 2 is possible.

Is the speaker, Mr Firestone, a native English speaker?
Can the phrase "
when we announced we would not take it forward" be worded more clearly?

I have no reason to think he isn't. People often make mistakes in their native language.

I think it's very obvious to everybody that it is the plant, not the closure. I don't think there's an error at all.

Can the phrase "
when we announced we would not take it forward" be worded more clearly?

It could, but a lot of management speak - the jargon used in business and other such areas - is like this- deliberately vague and wordy, with an emphasis on things like damage control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back