... where Frasier makes an unholy mess talking before the clergy.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I would like to know why 'in front of' can't use in the following examples instead of 'before'. Is 'before' used for position here?

1."I was accused of dangerous driving but rather than pay the fine, I elected to appear before the local magistrates."
2."Students who misbehave in the class are often brought before the head master / mistress."
3."The letter C comes before D and after B."
4."Julie's name is just before mine in the list."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would like to know why 'in front of' can't be used in the following examples instead of 'before'.
Who told you that?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It expresses "position" in all of those sentences. I didn't say it couldn't be used there. I suggested that you, as a learner, stick to using those two words with the definitions I described. It will save you from accidentally choosing the wrong one in a situation where only one is possible.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Who told you that?
Please see post #17

The following information is from https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv222.shtml

"However, before is used to refer to place when it indicates position in a list or when it means in the presence of somebody important:

• K comes before L in the alphabet, but after J.
    He had behaved so badly in school that he was brought before the headmistress.

• I was accused of dangerous driving but rather than pay the fine, I elected to appear before the local magistrates.

Note that in these last two examples before means facing and not one behind the other."

Is that information above correct?

Does 'in front of' also mean 'in the presence of somebody important' if it can be used in the last two examples above?

Here is another information from https://www.tolearnenglish.com/exercises/exercise-english-2/exercise-english-109489.php

In order to suggest that the scene takes place in the presence of a person representing authority, before is used:
ex : We're all standing before you, today to wed this man and this woman in holy matrimony ...

Can I use 'in front of' here to express the same meaning as 'before' does?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He had behaved so badly in school that he was brought before the headmistress.

I was accused of dangerous driving but rather than pay the fine, I elected to appear before the local magistrates.

We're all standing before you, today to wed this man and this woman in holy matrimony ...
I would probably use 'before' in those sentences, but I would not be surprised to see/hear 'in front of'.

thru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Does 'in front of' also mean 'in the presence of somebody important' in these examples below if I can use it here instead of 'before'?
  • He had behaved so badly in school that he was brought before the headmistress.

• I was accused of dangerous driving but rather than pay the fine, I elected to appear before the local magistrates.

ex : We're all standing before you, today to wed this man and this woman in holy matrimony ...