Which preposition is correct (Face of / by) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben9108

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would like to seek someone help to solve the below.

1. In addition to the challenge faced of this project, there was a very limited time for us to carry out the installation and commissioning work.
2. In addition to the challenge faced by this project, there was a very limited time for us to carry out the installation and commissioning work.

Which preposition followed the face is correct in the above two sentences?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Neither is correct. A project can't face challenges. Only the people taking part in the project can face challenges.

"In addition to the challenges faced by the participants in this project, there was very limited time ...". (Note that you don't need an article before "limited time".)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about presented by this project?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Posed by' just struck me.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you use "...the challenge facing this project", the preposition problem is solved.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I pointed out in post #2, the project itself doesn't face challenges. The people taking part in or running the project face them.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my sentence, "face" means "the project presents these challenges".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Again, I can only speak for BrE, but I can't see any way of understanding "the challenge facing this project" to mean "the project presents these challenges". That interpretation would be possible with "the challenge presented by this project".

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is fairly common in the US for us to say something like "We need to deal with the problems facing this project." "Face" at least in AE does not just mean "tackle" but also means in the face or presented in the forefront. "I'm facing you" doesn't mean "I'm tackling you" but "I'm in front of you". I remember a student asking why it is possible to say "The banner reads" because technically the banner cannot read but "be read" by someone. I'm not sure how BE handles "read" in this case but it's not uncommon for us to assign a verb to its direct object.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe you haven't read all the previous responses. There is some similarity in that the project cannot face a problem by itself or the banner cannot read itself.

It's not a project facing something. It's something facing a project. Huge difference!

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never said I wouldn't accept it. I said I didn't know whether "the banner reads" was acceptable in BE because it is perfectly fine in AE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"The banner reads" because technically the banner cannot read but "be read" by someone. I'm not sure how BE handles "read" in this case but it's not uncommon for us to assign a verb to its direct object.

This is fine in BrE. We also say that a text reads well.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'If you face a particular situation, or it faces you, you have to deal with it.'—quoted from definition #2 in Oxford Learner's Dictionary.

"We need to deal with the problems facing this project."
By definition, this sentence means 'We need to deal with the problems this project has to deal with', which seems weird to me.

Even in Merriam-Webster, an American dictionary, I cannot find a definition that fits the sentence.

However, the literal translation of it in the OP's native language sounds very natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.