Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello everyone. I encountered this expression, "who always had engine trouble", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means in the following sentences:

[Max speaking] "This is death. I need to think of something quiet and soothing. But quiet and soothing images fail to come. This is when memory rescued me: I decided to count and name every woman I’d slept with, year by year, including those who brought me so little pleasure in bed that I’ve often wondered why they parted the Red Sea if they had no manna to give and certainly wanted none of mine. This, to say nothing of those who wouldn’t take off their clothes, or would do this but certainly not that, or who always had engine trouble, so in the end, though you might have been in bed together, and even fallen asleep, it was never clear whether you had scaled the summit. In any event, I counted them and they added up to—”

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Third Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Two days after the party, Clara came to the protagonist's house at 8 o'clock in the morning and drove him to the house of the grandparents of Inky (her childhood friend and ex-boyfriend). Here, Inky's grandfather Max is speaking of his experience of entering the MRI machine, and feeling the death-like sensation inside the machine.

Here, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
I am not so sure how a person could have "engine trouble", so I am guessing it might be a metaphorical expression... But I am not sure what that means.

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

He seems to be comparing a person to a car. If your car has engine trouble you might have trouble getting it started, or if you do get it started it dies on you. So he is saying that some women he has known have been like that. (When that happened it was, presumably, a disappointing evening.)

@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So it means that the women had "engine trouble"; it might have been that the women, like a car with a malfunctioning engine, failed to function properly during the sexual intercourse (though it may be off-putting to describe a person like a machine...:eek:).

He is describing some women who gave him a disappointing evening: some of them refused to take off clothes, some of them were difficult (this but not that), or some of them failed to function properly (engine trouble)...

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

@Coffee Break Yes, the car wouldn't start or wouldn't function properly. Here, of course, he's not talking about a car but a person.

It's an interesting way to phrase things. He can't really blame her. She had engine trouble. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back