Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "value judgement" mean? Literally it is a judgement based on value. But what is value? The value of a drug is about how expensive or how cheap it is? I am not sure. Something here appears to be elusive to me.

==========================
WHO’s paused Solidarity trial is awaiting a similar review from its DSMB, says Soumya Swaminathan, the organization’s chief scientist. The pause will allow time for a review of published studies and interim data from Solidarity itself, she says. WHO paused the trial to show investigators and potential study participants that the agency takes safety issues seriously, she says. “We want to reassure people that the WHO didn’t make any kind of value judgment on the use of hydroxychloroquine.”

But some say WHO had a knee-jerk reaction to a questionable study. “This is a drug that has been used for decades. It’s not like we know nothing about its safety,” says Miguel Hernán, a Harvard epidemiologist and co-investigator on an ongoing trial of hydroxychloroquine in Spain and Latin America for COVID-19 prevention in health care workers.

Source: Science [FONT=&quot]Jun. 2, 2020
[/FONT]
A mysterious company’s coronavirus papers in top medical journals may be unraveling

It seems to me they didn't make any kind of judgment at all about it.

Do you know what moral values are?

Do you know what moral values are?

It is well defined: Moral values refer to a set of principles that guide an individual on how to evaluate right versus wrong.

It seems to me they didn't make any kind of judgment at all about it.

I don't understand you. The Solidarity project on hydroxychloroquine is halted on the judgement, based on the Lancet paper, that this drug might not be safe for Covid-19 patients.

Though a critic says it is like a knee jerk of WHO - but it is still a judgement, a judgement made quickly and intuitively.

They're saying "We didn't make a snap judgment because of our desire to show Trump wrong."

That's cute. But you must be kidding.
Dave told you how he understands the phrase. I understand it the same way. I'm not making a value judgment about it; I'm just helping you understand it.

Please don't make your own value judgments about other posters' intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back