Why did someone forged in the same smithy as I need to gather so many people around her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the sentence "Why did someone forged in the same smithy as I need to gather so many people around her?", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

I was going to be alone all day. Who knows, tomorrow as well. And the worst was, there was no one I wanted to be with to stave off the loneliness. I could have called people. But I didn’t want them. I could go to the movies early today, but movies, especially after the past four nights, would drive the point home even more fiercely now, as though even movies, from being my staunch allies, had gone over to her side now. Why were people so easily available to her? Why did someone forged in the same smithy as I need to gather so many people around her? The answer scared me: because she’s not you, not your twin. Simple. Or is it that she can be of your ilk and everyone else’s as well? The woman she is with them is totally unknown to you, and what she’ll share with them or want from them has names she’s never even told you.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Sixth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. It is narrated by a nameless male protagonist. He meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now the protagonist is feeling lonely because he thinks he would spend the day without Clara, since she has gone to see other friends.

I wonder what the underlined sentence means.
I am also struggling to parse it, because I cannot see clearly what is the verb in this sentence. o_O

My wild guess is: "Why did someone (who is forged in the same smithy as I need to) gather so many people around her?", but I know I am wrong... :D

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Why did someone [forged in the same smithy as I] need to gather so many people around her?

Why did someone ... need(verb) to gather ...?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why did someone (who is forged in the same smithy as I) need to gather so many people around her?"

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@dunchee and @5jj,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
Oh, so the verb here is "need"!

The protagonist thinks that she is made in the same smithy as himself, but is wondering why that someone (her) needs to gather people around her, while he does not need to gather people around him.
Then I guess this sentence would be roughly paraphrased as:

Why did someone [forged in the same smithy as I] need to gather so many people around her?
= Why did someone (=she), made in the same workshop as I, need to gather so many people around that someone (=her)?

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is he saying their upbringing was similar?

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the comment.

Is he saying their upbringing was similar?
I think he is saying that he feels that they are similar human beings, rather than they grew up in a similar upbringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.