Why does " sandbag " as a verb mean treating unfairly or harshly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why does " sandbag " as a verb mean treating unfairly or harshly? Is there some allusion to its figurative meaning?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I usually hear it used to mean hurt unexpectedly: "I thought I was doing a great job, so I was really sandbagged when I got fired."

To learn where words and expressions come from, Google it followed by the word derivation, like this: sandbag derivation

So try that. And look at several answers!

If you're still unclear, come back here to ask for more information.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
To be more specific, i have seen it in the new TV series " Succession " , in season1 espisode2, in which a billionaire family's father who have had a brain hemorrhage is in ICU, his family can't wait to hear from his doctor.One of his sons says: " are they sandbagging us? Do they know who he is? "

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why does "sandbag" as a verb mean "treat[strike]ing[/strike] unfairly or harshly"? Is there some allusion to its figurative meaning?

To be more specific, I [STRIKE]have seen[/STRIKE] heard it in the new TV series "Succession", in season space here 1, episode space here 2. [STRIKE]in which[/STRIKE] A billionaire [STRIKE]family's father who have[/STRIKE] has had a brain haemorrhage and is in ICU. His family can't wait to hear from his doctor. space here One of his sons says no colon here "Are they sandbagging us? Do they know who he is?"

Please note my corrections above.

Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.
Don't put a space before closing quotation marks.
Put a space after the words "season" and "episode", before the number.
Don't put a space before a comma.
Don't put a space before a full stop.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've wondered about the use of sandbag too.

I've heard it only in the last few years or so, always from AmE and usually young speakers. The Urban Dictionary says it's used like this:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sandbag
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sand bagging

However, I'm not completely convinced that the entries above cover the ways I've heard it used, and I can't properly understand this use in the context given in post #3. What's more, Charlie Bernstein seems to have a completely different understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.