Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Westminster" is a proper noun, and we don't use the definite article with those. However, "gate" on its own is an ordinary noun, so it can take "the". However, there is not an absolute rule about this. The best way is to learn the name as you encounter it.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not aware of any bridge in the United States that does not have "the" as part of its name. The other major bridge near the Golden Gate, namely the Bay Bridge, is a case in point. I think that sometimes people refer to the Brooklyn Bridge as just "Brooklyn Bridge," though. When I try to think of a bridge without "the" as part of the name, all that comes to mind is the song "London Bridge is falling down." :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In London, there's also Tower Bridge.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not aware of any bridge in the United States that does not have "the" as part of its name. The other major bridge near the Golden Gate, namely the Bay Bridge, is a case in point. I think that sometimes people refer to the Brooklyn Bridge as just "Brooklyn Bridge," though. When I try to think of a bridge without "the" as part of the name, all that comes to mind is the song "London Bridge is falling down." :)
It's always the Brooklyn Bridge.

But here's a question for Al: Why is it the flu but a cold but pneumonia?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's always the Brooklyn Bridge.

Why is it the flu but a cold but pneumonia?

Here is my guess. Certainly there are many different kinds of pneumonia (which incidentally just means fluid in the lungs.) Similarly there are various types of cold (e.g. head and chest) but only one influenza, albeit with constantly evolving strains.

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

At some point, I gave up trying to understand why the is or isn't used with certain names, and I just started memorizing them. It was when I was wrestling with geographical names, and I was defeated by the Sudan, the Gambia, and El Salvador.

There's lots of general rules that can help you with most cases, but there's even more exceptions to those rules.

The best way is to learn the name as you encounter it.
This is, unfortunately, the best advice you'll get.

From what I can tell, even native speakers can sometimes get it wrong when dealing with a name they haven't seen (enough). As Mark Cooper-Jones put it, you just have to live long enough to learn them one at a time, sorry.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In London, there's also Tower Bridge.

But we also say the Humber Bridge and the Severn Bridge- it is an area of inconsistency.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But we also say the Humber Bridge and the Severn Bridge- it is an area of inconsistency.

I imagine that's because both the Humber and the Severn are rivers, and we use the with rivers.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I imagine that's because both the Humber and the Severn are rivers, and we use the with rivers.

Good point, but we do have Trent Bridge, though that may be influenced by the cricket ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.