Why the process mentioned in the paragraph has something to do with energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniasa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I am studying the "Big Book" and there is a paragraph with some questions related to it. Well, aside from the paragraph, I assume that because I don't know anything about the process, I cannot relate the paragraph to the question and more importantly, to the correct answer.

Reading:
The whole biosphere, like the individual organisms that live inside it, exists in a chemically dynamic state. In this homeostatic system, a great number of organic compounds are synthesized, transformed, and decomposed continuously; together, these processes constitute the major parts of the carbon cycle. For the smooth operation of this cycle, degradation is just as important as synthesis: the green plants produce great quantities of polymers, such as cellulose, and innumerable other compounds like alkaloids, terpenes, and flavonoids, that green plants cannot use as sources of energy during respiration. The release of the carbon in these compounds for recycling depends almost entirely on the action of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and certain types of fungi. Some bacteria and fungi possess the unique and extremely important biochemical asset of being able to catalyze the oxidation of numerous inert products, thereby initiating reaction sequences that produce carbon dioxide and so return much carbon to a form that actively enters into life cycles once again.

Question:
27. The author‟s contention about the importance of bacteria and fungi in the production of energy for life processes would be most clearly strengthened if which of the following were found to be true?
(A) Both aerobes and anaerobes provide sources of energy through the decomposition of organic material.
(B) Most compounds containing carbon are unavailable as energy sources except to some bacteria and fungi.
(C) Bacteria and fungi break down inert material in ways that do not involve oxidation.
(D) Many compounds remain inert, even in the presence of bacteria and fungi.
(E) Bacteria and fungi assist in the synthesis of many organic compounds.

The book mentions that the correct answer is "B". But why?

Please help me understand it.

Thanks in advance

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's a cruel and unusual question.
B is correct, though, for a number of reasons. The question asks "if which of the following were found to be true?"
This tends to indicate that the answer is something that we don't know to be true. We do know that the following are true: A, D, E are true.
A (given)
D: "Some bacteria and fungi possess the unique and extremely important biochemical asset of being able to catalyze the oxidation of numerous inert products" This implies that D is known to be true. We know that there are non-biodegradable materials.
E is probably common knowledge. In any case, we know it's true.
C: I'm not sure if this is true, or known to be true. However, if it were, it's unlikely to strengthen the argument, because it's oxidation that helps to return carbon to the cycle (last sentence).

So, it's B on this count.

The question is about strengthening the known importance of bacteria and fungi in the production of energy for life processes.
(B) Most compounds containing carbon are unavailable as energy sources except to some bacteria and fungi.

If most carbon compounds require bacteria and fungi to be available as energy, this would certainly strengthen the importance of bacteria and fungi in the production of energy. So, B sounds right by this criterion, if we assume that B is not known.

Some of these questions are close to a lottery. I wouldn't expect most uni first year Botany student to get that right. Which did you choose?

Soniasa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot Raymott,
But unfortunately, it's still unclear to me. I believe that the paragraph is about " Carbon recycling ". But the question is asking something about" the production of energy for life processes ". How these two concepts are correlated? I mean how Carbon recycling has something to do with the production of energy?
Also, what exactly "inert" means here in the paragraph? "Dead" or " inactive" ?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think "production of energy for life processes" means?

I just ate a sandwich. Now my body is using it to produce energy.

Soniasa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
But according to the paragraph, the carbon recycling happens when some bacterias attack the " inert" plants not when they are alive.right?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The alkaloids, terpenes, etc. are inert. It's nothing to do with whether the plant is alive. Inert meaning "chemically inactive."

Soniasa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Smoothing Dave,
My conjecture was right. Because I had not known any thing about the process(background), I misunderstood the paragraph. So, if it's possible for you, could you please explain, or better to say, interpret the whole paragraph?
Considering the paragraph and your last note, those products are made by plants and the paragraph says the plants wont use them as energy sources during respiration. So, the plants make some things and won't use them. So, these does process of carbon recycling start? When the plants are alive?

Last edited:

Soniasa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
It's a cruel and unusual question.
B is correct, though, for a number of reasons. The question asks "if which of the following were found to be true?"
This tends to indicate that the answer is something that we don't know to be true. We do know that the following are true: A, D, E are true.
A (given)
D: "Some bacteria and fungi possess the unique and extremely important biochemical asset of being able to catalyze the oxidation of numerous inert products" This implies that D is known to be true. We know that there are non-biodegradable materials.
E is probably common knowledge. In any case, we know it's true.
C: I'm not sure if this is true, or known to be true. However, if it were, it's unlikely to strengthen the argument, because it's oxidation that helps to return carbon to the cycle (last sentence).

So, it's B on this count.

The question is about strengthening the known importance of bacteria and fungi in the production of energy for life processes.

If most carbon compounds require bacteria and fungi to be available as energy, this would certainly strengthen the importance of bacteria and fungi in the production of energy. So, B sounds right by this criterion, if we assume that B is not known.

Some of these questions are close to a lottery. I wouldn't expect most uni first year Botany student to get that right. Which did you choose?

I got the paragraph from "Big Book"

Soniasa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Guys, I think I got the gist of the paragraph.
The fact is that green plants make some " food" and also O2 through the process of "photosynthesis". Some of the food green plants make are bio-chemically active and some are not. Those that are bio-chemically active like cellulose can be considered as source of energy knowing that they will be oxidized through respiration process. Others which are inert or chemically inctive, take advantage of using some bacterias as well as fungi to be decomposed that the carbon within them returns to nature as CO2.

Status
Not open for further replies.