with some fragements written in an ancient version of its alphabet thought to have fallen out of use

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagridmoc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I don't know the grammar used in underline of the sentence below. Can anyone help me?

"The majority of the texts on thde Dead Scrolls are in Hebrew, with some fragements written in an ancient version of its alphabet thought to have fallen out of use in the fifth century BCE."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't know the grammar used in the underlined parts of the sentence below. Can anyone help me?

"The majority of the texts on the Dead Scrolls are in Hebrew, with some fragments written in an ancient version of its alphabet thought to have fallen out of use in the fifth century BCE."
1- "with" is a preposition used (to provide explanation/extra details) before the participle clause.
2- "thought to have" is a reduced (shortened) version of "which is/was thought to have fallen". It means people/experts believe that alphabet had stopped being used in the fifth century BCE.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@hagridmoc Two things. One, where did you see that? Two, the phrase you should have been asking about is "thought to have fallen out of use".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@hagridmoc I have changed your thread title. "Grammar" is useless as a title. Titles should be unique and relevant, and include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

You must provide the source of that sentence.

hagridmoc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This should be "Dead Sea Scrolls". Was it written without Sea in the original text or did you leave it out while quoting it?
I’ve already checked it.
Yes, the original text has “Sea” in.

hagridmoc

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
@hagridmoc I have changed your thread title. "Grammar" is useless as a title. Titles should be unique and relevant, and include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

You must provide the source of that sentence.
I’ll notice next time. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.