Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Dear teachers,

to report questions you can use a handful of verbs, the most common of which are ask, inquire, want to know and wonder.

In the past my teacher taught me that "to wonder" is equivalent to "to ask oneself", so I'm actually wondering right now whether this verb is also appropriate when I'd like to report a question asked during a political discussion, like in:

a) Reporter in the first row: Have you ever thought of increasing the minimum wage?
The reporter in the first row wondered whether the politician had ever thought of increasing the minimum wage.

To be honest it sounds weird to me since it is a simple question and there's no "wondering" (in the sense of asking oneself) involved.

In b) it might be a slightly different situation:

b) One of students taking part in the discussion: Will employers ever accept the new regulations?
The student wondered whether employers would ever accept the new regulations.

Here, we can hear some doubt in the question which makes it a little more like wondering/asking yourself. But still, the student says it aloud, which makes it a question directed to someone.

I'd really appreciate some help here.

The reporter asked a question. He/she did not wonder.

So, in b) "wonder" is wrong, too?

So, in b) "wonder" is wrong, too?
The reporter asked a question. He/she did not wonder.
Thank you, Tarheel.

Am I right to understand that the idea of "wondered" in a reported question is that that person only thought about something ("thought bubble") and not actually talked about ("speech bubble") what they were wondering?

Setting: During a discussion - reported days later:

a) Jim (thinking, asking himself): " Will the employers ever accept the new regulations?" => Jim wondered whether the employers would ever accept....
b) Jim (asking the other participants in the discussion): "Will the employers...?" => Jim asked whether the employers would ever accept....

So, as soon as they speak, "wonder" is not possible in the context given above?

It's perfectly possible to "wonder out loud". Jim, in your example above, could say out loud "Will the employers ever accept the new regulations, I wonder?" or "I wonder if the employers will ever accept the new regulations". If this were being shown in a film, for example, Jim would probably be alone in a room, looking as if he's contemplating things.

It's perfectly possible to "wonder out loud". Jim, in your example above, could say out loud "Will the employers ever accept the new regulations, I wonder?" or "I wonder if the employers will ever accept the new regulations". If this were being shown in a film, for example, Jim would probably be alone in a room, looking as if he's contemplating things.
Ah, thank you for this explanation. But - if reported - we would use "asked" or "wanted to know" in case he were not alone but taking part in a discussion?

If it was part of a discussion, then use "said" or "asked". He would be explaining to other people that this is something he had been wondering about recently. Saying "I wonder if ..." doesn't have to mean that you're wondering about it at the exact moment of speaking.

Ah, thank you for this explanation. But - if reported - we would use "asked" or "wanted to know" in case he IS not alone but taking part in a discussion?
In the last sentence you could add, "Is that right?" That would make it a real question.

Back