There's/There are five minutes before the show begins.

teacherjapan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Which would you use?
Also, is it possible to use “until” instead of “before”?

(A) There’s five minutes before the show begins.
(B) There’re five minutes before the show begins.

This is the sentences I came up with.

I wrote the following sentences:

(A) There’s five minutes before the show begins.
(B) There’re five minutes before the show begins.

Which would you use? Also, is it possible to use “until” instead of “before”?

This is the sentences I came up with.
Please note my changes above.
In real life, I'd say "The show begins in five minutes". For the purposes of your exercise, I'd use "There's". You could use "until". In both cases, I'd say "five minutes to go".

Thank you. Is it also possible to say, “We have five minutes until the show begins”?

Last edited:
It is possible.

It is possible.
Thank you. I wonder why you guys use “there’s” in spite of the fact that five minutes is the plural form. Is it wrong to use “there are five minutes before…”?

Thank you. I wonder why you guys use “there’s” in spite of the fact that five minutes is the plural form. Is it wrong to use “There are five minutes before…”?
There are plenty of other threads on this topic. You can search for them yourself. Native speakers often use "There's" before plural nouns. It's partly because "There're" isn't as simple to say and it looks terrible written down! It's the contraction that makes it less natural. Using "There are" is much better than "There're". Bear in mind, though, that when said aloud "There are" will sound like "There're".

Please don't refer to us as "you guys".

Unless there's a reason not to we're going to say things pretty much the same as everybody else does.

I can say with a high degree of confidence that native speakers don't spend a lot of time analyzing stuff.

Thank you. I wonder why you guys use “there’s” in spite of the fact that five minutes is the plural form. Is it wrong to use “there are five minutes before…”?
Because some people consider the amount of time as one unit, rather than individual minutes. Both are acceptable, and it just depends on your viewpoint.

This is true for most units of time, distance, weight and measurement. It's similar to how collective nouns (group, class, team, etc.) take a singular verb when referring to an action as a group, versus a plural verb when referring to individual actions.

You can research English subject-verb agreement rules to learn more.

Back