"You did good" - should this annoy me?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Hi all Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that lately, I've been seeing "You did good" (or even worse "You done good") in films and it always make me cringe. Surely it should be "You did well". I've heard it so many times, I'm starting to wonder. Ignoring the philosophical question of 'if everyone uses something incorrectly, is it still incorrect?', would some kind soul either confirm my understanding, or explain why "You did good" is acceptable? Many thanks ps - any ideas how to stop the white space being removed?

We can't tell you how to feel about it, waflob.

It's non-standard English, but widely used and - what matters most to the majority of people - universally understood.

I got over my annoyance years ago, as life's too short to try to turn back the tide of language evolution among native speakers who have no interest in grammar and syntax. Far worse solecisms are perpetrated daily - chiefly among the young.

As educators, we can only advise seekers of the truth when they ask what the 'correct' expression might be.

Rover

Last edited:
"You did good" - should this annoy me?!?

Not necessarily. The word good functions most commonly as adverb or adjective, but it can be a noun and be used the same as we might use right.

The inept superhero did Good; just not very well...

That said, I do realize that, most of the time, the useage is incorrect, as in some version of, "Ya did good (as in a good job) out there today, kid- I'm proud of ya!"

Hi all Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that lately, I've been seeing "You did good" (or even worse "You done good") in films and it always make me cringe. Surely it should be "You did well". I've heard it so many times, I'm starting to wonder. Ignoring the philosophical question of 'if everyone uses something incorrectly, is it still incorrect?', would some kind soul either confirm my understanding, or explain why "You did good" is acceptable? Many thanks ps - any ideas how to stop the white space being removed?

ONLY A NON-TEACHER'S OPINION

I once read something to the effect of:

Some missionaries went to foreign countries to do good, but they ended

up doing very well.

"I once read something to the effect of:

Some missionaries went to foreign countries to do good, but they ended
up doing very well.
"

I thought it was Some missionaries went to the cannibal tribes to do good, but they ended up well done...

"You done good" is also heard, if you want to get really annoyed. ;-)

Via the reply button, but I think it's sorted - I needed to allow scripts to run and now it appears as I see it.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back