... you or your ascendants did not repatriate from the territory of ...

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "repatriate from" mean "leave"?

"People who are eligible for Karta Polaka need to confirm in writing that you or your ascendants did not repatriate from the territory of the Republic of Poland or the Polish People's Republic."

It's from the website about Polish citizenship.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think so. It's available to anybody anywhere. What it does mean is a mystery to me.

I guess they think people know what that means. I guess they also think people know what "ascendants" means.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's a very poor translation. I suspect they meant something like "People applying/eligible for a Karta Polaka must confirm in writing that they have never been deported/removed from ...". However, it's legal terminology so you would need an expert in Polish immigration law to get a definitive answer.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "repatriate" mean something like "deport"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's similar inasmuch as it means to be transported from a country other than your own (home) country back to your own (home) country.

For example, if I were on holiday in France and had a major medical emergency, after initial treatment my insurance company might be liable for repatriating me back to the UK if I'm too ill to continue my holiday.

If a foreign national in the UK is convicted of a crime, after serving their prison sentence, they would be either deported (a legal immigration term) or repatriated. Both involve being forcibly removed from the UK but deportation carries further restrictions on re-entry.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, it's not an everyday word. In fact, the odds are that I will never see it again.

They didn't have me as a consultant on that project, and it shows.
😊

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's pretty common in BrE, especially when talking about insurance cover. It's always important to make sure travel insurance includes repatriation cover.