Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I met someone online who insulted me. I was angry. I said "You're a despicable fool". Is it strong enough to express my anger? Is it idiomatic?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that if someone called me a despicable fool, I would probably laugh. It sounds very dated.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think that if someone called me a despicable fool, I would probably laugh. It sounds very dated.
How about "You're nothing but a no-hoper".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I know that I should be polite, but I'm interested to know what I can say. I think that could be part of the English language. Would you please help me, Piscean?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If he/she insulted you, why do you think you need to be polite? As 5jj said, your first suggestion sounds like it's from an 18th-century novel. Your second isn't appropriate for someone you only know online. You might use "no-hoper" to refer to someone you know in real life who has failed to achieve anything much.

Depending on the level of insult and how offended or angry I was, my responses would range from "I was very upset by what you said. I would be grateful for an apology" all the way up to "F*ck off, you tw*t". (The second asterisk replaces an "a" - calling someone a "twit" really doesn't cut it!)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no safe way to attack a person verbally; this is even more true in writing. It's truest of all in a language that is not your own.

I think my strongest put-down in this forum is 'Have a nice day'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I rather like old-fashioned abuse. You could call him a scoundrel, a knave, a poltroon, etc. They might not get it, but many will.

Status
Not open for further replies.