Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
source: British TV drama: House of Cards

Mattie stormed to a bar table where a customer was drinking. When the man turned around, he accidently poured his drink to Mattie.

Mattie: oh, God! That's all I need.

Man: I'm so sorry...

Later they stroke up a conversation.
The man said 'you're a pretty girl'. It seems to me that he was realizing he was dropping a clanger, he added 'No offence. I got a daughter at your age'...

Why did he say 'No offence' after 'you're a pretty girl'?

Is it inappropriate to praise a woman in front of her?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a very delicate matter, as Urquhart demonstrates, especially when there's such a big age difference. I doubt he said "I got". He spoke very careful English and would not have omitted the auxiliary verb.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
source: British TV drama: House of Cards

Mattie stormed to a bar table where a customer was drinking. When the man turned around, he accidently poured his drink to Mattie.

Mattie:oh, God! That's all I need.

Man: I'm so sorry...

Later they
strike up a conversation. The man said 'you're a pretty girl'. It seems to me that he was realizing he was dropping a clanger, because he added 'No offence. I got a daughter at your age'...

Why did he say 'No offence' after 'you're a pretty girl'?

He didn't want her to think he was flirting/hitting on her/making a pass at her/coming on to her.

Is it inappropriate to praise a woman in front of her?

Commenting on a stranger's or coworker's looks is usually a bad idea.

It's also inappropriate to call a young woman who's a stranger or coworker a girl.

Note:

Check the definitions of strike up and stroke.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's also inappropriate to call a young woman who's a stranger or coworker a girl.
It is now. The British version of House of Cards was made thirty years ago when I believe it was still pretty typical practice in Britain.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Note:

Check the definitions of strike up and stroke.

Is it appropriate to comment on, especially positively, stars or the Royal members' looks and their attires in the media?

In the Daily Mail, I used to read some reports that journals wrote some stars look stunning in some dress, something like this.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it appropriate to comment on, especially positively, stars or the Royal members' looks and their [STRIKE]attires[/STRIKE] attire in the media?

In the Daily Mail, I used to read some reports that journals wrote some stars look stunning in some dress, something like this.
As you've noticed, it's very common for newspapers and magazines to comment on celebrities' appearance. Whether it's appropriate or not is a matter of opinion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use the British tabloid press as indicators of what's appropriate and what's not in real life.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is now. The British version of House of Cards was made thirty years ago when I believe it was still pretty typical practice in Britain.
Oh! I thought it was a new show. Now I know.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it appropriate to comment on, especially positively, stars or the Royal members' looks and their attires in the media?

That's fine. It has nothing to do with you or me.

Do you write for a magazine? If you do, just follow your magazine's standards.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That's fine. It has nothing to do with you or me.

Do you write for a magazine? If you do, just follow your magazine's standards.

No, I don't. I don't think my English can reach the benchmark of being a writer for an English magazine. :cry:

The reason I asked this question is it is one of my ways to learn English, the life and culture etc. via reading reports from English media outlets.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, I don't. I don't think my English can reach the benchmark of being a writer for an English magazine. :cry:

The reason I asked this question is it is one of [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the ways [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] I learn English, the life and culture of the people etc. [STRIKE]via[/STRIKE] by/through reading reports from English media outlets.

We don't use the preposition via that way. It is used with a place, a person or a medium.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

We don't use the preposition via that way. It is used with a place, a person or a medium.
I like your "by/through," although I do hear via used that way sometimes.

I don't like "via reading reports" as much as I like "via reports."

Status
Not open for further replies.