Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

I'm trying to translate a Spanish expression (se me cerró el estómago) into English.

We say this expression (literally: my stomach got shut) when we lose appetite either because we are very worried, or in love, or perhaps because we find the food available distusting.

Is there any similar expression in English?

Thanks!

We can be off our food.

Sorry, but I do think you mean disgusting or disturbing, don’t you?

We would say we "lost our appetite."

Yes, sorry, that was a typo.

There is - or at least used to be - an expression for something like this: 'to have/get the collywobbles'. Failing that, being 'off your food' is probably the nearest you'll get, although it refers rather too explicitly to loss of appetite for my liking. A passing episode of uneasiness in the stomach because of nerves/fear/anticipation can also be referred to as Butterflies in your stomach - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com.

b

My stomach turned.

:-? It's tempting to go for a 1:1 translation like that, but I'm not sure it conveys the right emotion.

'My stomach turned' expresses disgust. My Spanish isn't good enough to say whether Se me cerró el estómago does that... But I suspect not.

b

I'm sure you're right, but thought I'd throw that in to reverberate the guitar body a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back