Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My stomach and belly didn't feel well for weeks, but I didn't go to see doctors because I knew they couldn't help me much. Based on my experience, if I haven't got a temperature, vomiting or diarrhea, they usually prescribe only antacid. Yesterday, I wanted to buy a light so I went to a big scale furniture company. It has three storeys, and costumers have to walk through them from start to finish. When I walked half way, I got worse so I walked faster. Today, I find I recover suddenly. I guess it was because the walking was somewhat an exercise. I rarely do exercise this year.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have time to make most of the corrections (I'm on a very short lunch break at work) but the thing that jumped off the page at me was that you have made a very common spelling error. You wrote "costumers" (people who make costumes for other people to wear) instead of "customers" (clients).

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My stomach and belly didn't feel well for weeks, but I didn't go to see [STRIKE]doctors [/STRIKE] a doctor because I knew they couldn't help me much. Based on my experience, if I haven't [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] had a temperature, vomiting or diarrhea (diarrhoea in BrE), they usually prescribe only antacids. Yesterday, I wanted to buy a light fitting/lamp, so I went to a [STRIKE]big scale[/STRIKE] large furniture [STRIKE]company[/STRIKE] store/showroom/shop. It [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] occupies three storeys, and [STRIKE]costumers[/STRIKE] customers have to walk through them (the entire building) from start to finish. [STRIKE]When[/STRIKE] After I walked halfway, I got worse (felt my diarrhoea was back again) so I walked faster. (What happened after that?) Today, I find I [STRIKE]recover suddenly[/STRIKE] have completely recovered. I guess it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] is because the walking [STRIKE]was somewhat an[/STRIKE] exercise has helped. I [STRIKE]rarely do exercise[/STRIKE] have rarely been exercising this year.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I say "I guess it is because the walking exercise helped"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can I say "I guess it is because the walking exercise helped"?

Yes, you can, but the present perfect tense is better for past actions which have a bearing on the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.