[General] How do you pronounce the word "Galaxy"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Galaxy /gæləks/ or /gɑ:ləks/ ?

I say /gæləksi/.

I say /gæləksi/.

Sometimes I hear people say /ga:ləksi/, do you think this is a proper pronunciation for this word?

Sometimes I hear people say /ga:ləksi/, do you think this is a proper pronunciation for this word?
Where have you heard this?

Where have you heard this?

I just heard that on TV advertisement and some people pronounce it as /ga:ləksi/, do you mean if people say /ga:ləksi/ is not a proper pronunciation?

I haven't come across it.

In many dialects, /æ/ is pronounced [a] before l, which might sound like /ɑ/ to you.

In many dialects, /æ/ is pronounced [a] before l, which might sound like /ɑ/ to you.
I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you give some examples?

I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you give some examples?

I'm saying that, especially in dialects with dark ls, an l-colored /æ/ can be an [a], just like an l-colored /u/ can be a [ʊ] or an l-colored /ʌ/ something closer to [o].

I say | ɡæ.lək.si |

I just heard that on TV advertisement and some people pronounce it as /ga:ləksi/, do you mean if people say /ga:ləksi/ is not a proper pronunciation?
No, I'm not saying it's improper. In fact, I can imagine that they might be little villages tucked away in Britain somewhere where everyone says /ga:ləksi/. If the TV advertisement was filmed in such a village, then that would explain it. Hence the question about context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back