Active and Passive Vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many new words have appeared in AE. Why do Americans say "sidewalk" instead of "pavement"?:?:

I wonder how many new words have appeared in AE. Why do Americans say "sidewalk" instead of "pavement"?:?:

The real question is why the Brits call sidewalks "pavement". :-D

The real question is why the Brits call sidewalks "pavement". :-D

And why they call the drug-store "chemist's". How many such words have been renamed?

There are many of those "pairs".

Do they teach in American schools that those words have pairs in BrE or not?. While teaching I always tell my students about these pairs and they try to learn them very well.

Do they teach in American schools that those words have pairs in BrE or not?. While teaching I always tell my students about these pairs and they try to learn them very well.

I don't think so, but it's been decades since I have been inside a classroom as a student.

(Tdol, what are Shermans?)

:)

It's Cockney Rhyming Slang- Sherman tank = yank. ;-)

I don't think so, but it's been decades since I have been inside a classroom as a student.

(Tdol, what are Shermans?)

:)

It's similar to "bloody twits" being Brits. :lol:

It's a complete surprise to the rest of the world that the Americans write the date in the format "month/day/year" instead of "day/month/year" like everyone else. So "9/11" is in fact September the eleventh, and not the ninth of november. Even more ludicrous is the practice of writing the time as "minute:hour:second", this causes enormous problems if you work in an organisation which must function multinationally. So much confusion is caused by the crackpot American date and time formats. :lol:

It's a complete surprise to the rest of the world that the Americans write the date in the format "month/day/year" instead of "day/month/year" like everyone else. So "9/11" is in fact September the eleventh, and not the ninth of november. Even more ludicrous is the practice of writing the time as "minute:hour:second", this causes enormous problems if you work in an organisation which must function multinationally. So much confusion is caused by the crackpot American date and time formats. :lol:

Really? I haven't paid attention. We write day\month\year. It's really intersting. Are there any strange differences like this?;-)

Really? I haven't paid attention. We write day\month\year. It's really intersting. Are there any strange differences like this?;-)

Obviously, curmudgeon cannot tell time. :lol:

Obviously, curmudgeon cannot tell time. :lol:

What way of telling the time is popular in the States: Half past seven or seven thirty? :-D

What way of telling the time is popular in the States: Half past seven or seven thirty? :-D

Both. In Europe it is "the sun's shadow crosses the little line between the 7 and the 8".

Both. In Europe it is "the sun's shadow crosses the little line between the 7 and the 8".

And how about the date? Do you really write month\day\year?;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back