- Could you tell me which form is correct? :tick:
- Could you tell me which correct form is best. :tick:
- Could you tell me which correct form is? :cross:
Some writers say that when the question asks for a subject answer (as in Which form is the correct one? - This form is the correct one) rather than a complement answer (What's the time? - The time is eight o'clock), then there are two possible word orders:
Which form is correct?
1. Can you tell me which is the correct form?
2. Can you tell me which the correct form is.
If you are a learner, the safest 'rules' are those suggested by Soup and me. Just be aware that you may encounter sentences, such as #1 which do not follow the rules. Don't worry - #2 is acceptable.
Oh my God!
I am a disaster! :-(
If you found my last post confusing, ignore it. I wrote that only because some learners become unhappy when they hear a native speaker saying something that they (the learners) believe to be incorrect.