Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I am struggling with these two vowels. I have found that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIuPKhAAUA4
and trying to copy what he is doing, but when I am saying these vowel they sound exactly the same.
Any helpful tips for me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you make a recording of yourself saying "bag" and "bug" so we can hear how you sound? You can use something like Vocaroo.

BDX777

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
thanks so much for answers
Did he explain properly how to make these sounds?? I mean that sound /æ/ comes from the front of the mouth etc.
here is the link to my record
https://soundcloud.com/user-885152566/sound-1

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The guy has made a basic oversight: At 1:19 he says The length of the vowel sound is the same—it's short. This is not strictly accurate. In fact I'd say it's a crucial difference. It really depends on which words the sounds appear in. For instance, in the word bag, the vowel is typically longer than the vowel in bug.

As a way to practise pronouncing these two words, I'd suggest that you try to lengthen the vowel in bag to approximately double that of the one in bug. In other words, let bag last for two counts and bug for only one. Use the following sentences to help you do this.

That's a big baaaag.
That's a big bug.

Of course the vowel length is not the only difference—the vowels are two different sounds. From your recording, you seem to be producing them accurately enough. Now try practising them within the context of the sentences above.

Status
Not open for further replies.