Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kansas Debates First Post-Roe Vote on Abortion: ‘Everybody Is Dug In’
An election in Kansas next week will provide the first electoral test of Americans’ attitudes on abortion rights since the Supreme Court decision.
It could give the state’s legislature authority to pass new limits or to outlaw the procedure, potentially reshaping abortion access in the central U.S.

Source: NYTimes

I understand ‘Everybody Is Dug In’ as ‘Everybody Is put into the hole and it is hard to escape from it". Am I on the right track?

What does dug mean?

@GoodTaste Have you googled "Everybody is dug in"?

It's a metaphor from trench warfare, where opposing sides entrench positions to prepare for battle. Both sides have invested a lot of time and resources in preparation for the upcoming vote.

“It’s kind of more trench warfare — everybody is dug in on one side or the other,” Mr. Rowland said.

@GoodTaste I got better results with "dug in" but not by looking at all that stuff at the the main definition.

The term "google" has become a generic term for "look stuff up on the internet".

Added: One time I saw the definition I was looking for right away, but I've had a hard time reproducing that.

Last edited:
At least in AnE the meaning has nothing to do with effort expended. It's a metaphor for an unalterable opinion on a controversial subject. People who are dug in will not change their minds despite any arguments or evidence against their opinion.

At least in AnE the meaning has nothing to do with effort expended. It's a metaphor for an unalterable opinion on a controversial subject. People who are dug in will not change their minds despite any arguments or evidence against their opinion.
It is probably to do with digging trenches, so "entrenched" would be similar.

Yes, dug in and entrenched are synonymous. The digging, however, is entirely imaginary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back