Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, i learned that the phrase “With that being said” is used to show contradictories in statements. Please let me know if the sentences below are being used correctly and please help correct my grammar mistakes as well.

1. While they seemed like a match made in heaven and he’s head over heels in love; However, his parents just don’t approve of the relationship because of her poor family background middle class upbringings. They just don’t think she’s the right girl for him. That being said, I heard they are looking to find a more suitable marriage partner for him. She has to be someone who’s from upper middle class with impeccable upbringings and well educated.

2. Johnny is such a wild, party boy. He always likes to hang out at bars, and night clubs with his buddies. He would drink till he passed out and never cares whether he will wake up the next morning. As far as I know, he even got arrested for DUI twice. That being said, deep down I know he’s a good guy at heart. I believe he will change his wild partying way one day. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

3. I also learned that “being” can be used in place of “As/because/since”. But “being” is more informal and is usually used in everyday speech?

I hope to get answers soon. Thank you in advance for your help.

Lily

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

3. I also learned that “being” can be used in place of “As/because/since”. But “being” is more informal and is usually used in everyday speech?

Could you provide us with a sentence containing the word "being" you describe?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, I learned that the phrase “With that being said” is used to show [STRIKE]contradictories[/STRIKE] contradictions in statements. Please let me know if the sentences below [STRIKE]are being used[/STRIKE] use the phrase correctly and please [STRIKE]help[/STRIKE] correct my grammar mistakes as well.

1. While they [STRIKE]seemed[/STRIKE] seem like a match made in heaven and he’s head over heels in love, [STRIKE]; However[/STRIKE] his parents [STRIKE]just[/STRIKE] don’t approve of the relationship because of her poor family background. [STRIKE]middle class upbringings.[/STRIKE] They just don’t think she’s the right girl for him. That being said, I heard they are looking to find a more suitable marriage partner for him. She has to be someone well-educated, who’s [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] upper middle class with an impeccable upbringing. [STRIKE]s and well educated.[/STRIKE]

2. Johnny is such a wild, party boy. He [STRIKE]always[/STRIKE] likes to hang out at bars (no comma here) and night clubs with his buddies. He [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] drinks till he passes out and never cares whether he will wake up the next morning. [STRIKE]As far as I know,[/STRIKE] He has even [STRIKE]got[/STRIKE] been arrested for DUI twice. That being said, deep down I know he’s a good guy at heart. I believe he will change his wild partying ways one day. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

See my corrections above. "That being said" is not used correctly in sentence 1. There's no contradiction between his parents not liking his current girlfriend because of her background and their wanting to find him a more suitable partner.

Lilyoftheorient

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, thanks so much for your corrections. I have really learned a lot so far. I hope to get more corrections from you and other experts in the future. Now I have a good idea on how the “that being said” phrase should be used.

Lily

Lilyoftheorient

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi I have come up with another sentence. Please let me know if it makes sense with the phrase “With that being said”. Thanks

- They might looks like a cute couple who likes to party together and he’s acting like he’s head over heels in love with her. Nevertheless, I think it’s unlikely that he will ever consider marrying her. With that being said, I know he will end up looking for a simple girl with strong family values who he feels he can settle down with.

Status
Not open for further replies.