Saying the plural form of a word in a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

xPolaris

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi again, I have another question, hope y'all don't mind :cool:
While reading another thread on the word "scientists", I found that I never pronounce the "s" at the end when a word containing s in a sentence... For example, for the sentence" the scientists were gone", I'd just say "the scientist were gone". Does that happen to you guys? It seems like I can never pronounce the sssss stss fast enough... Is there a way to solve this?

Hi again, I have another question, hope y'all don't mind :cool:
While reading another thread on the word "scientists", I found that I never pronounce the "s" at the end when a word containing s in a sentence... For example, for the sentence" the scientists were gone", I'd just say "the scientist were gone". Does that happen to you guys? It seems like I can never pronounce the sssss stss fast enough... Is there a way to solve this?
Can you say "The scientist swere gone"?
But you're right. Even native speakers take shortcuts, and might say "The scientisswere gone" (with a proper Italian double ss).

Can you say "The scientist swere gone"?
But you're right. Even native speakers take shortcuts, and might say "The scientisswere gone" (with a proper Italian double ss).

Hi Raymott, that means native speakers say "breasts" would pronounce "breas s", "risks" would be "ris s" without t sound, right?

Hi Raymott, that means native speakers say "breasts" would pronounce "breas s", "risks" would be "ris s" without t sound, right?
No, those words shouldn't be too difficult. I didn't intend my advice to be generalised that far.
But there's something about words like 'scientists' and 'physicists' with serial /t/ and /s/ sounds that make them hard for some people.
Try saying "scientists' statistics" a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back