Much or Many 1

How .... did you spend?

• Total voters
" I also mind that people want to stick their nose in other people's personal life. "

Right after leaving this forum, I stumbled onto this sentence somewhere.

Since people is used, do you think ' noses ' should be used instead of its singular form ?

I myself see it the way that since it is not the ' nose ' the person talked about, so leaves it in singular form, correct ? After all stick one's nose is a slang I guess

whl626 said:
" I also mind that people want to stick their nose in other people's personal life. "

Right after leaving this forum, I stumbled onto this sentence somewhere.

Since people is used, do you think ' noses ' should be used instead of its singular form ?

I myself see it the way that since it is not the ' nose ' the person talked about, so leaves it in singular form, correct ? After all stick one's nose is a slang I guess

I agree with your first opinion. It should be their noses.

:)

RonBee said:
The "it" in the sentence in question refers to a process or an action or a series of actions or a habit. (Take your pick. :wink: )

That's right, Ron, you just speak out what I want to say about 'it'. :)
And as for 'love' used in my proceding line, I guess this word is pretty strong as you said and I will try not to overuse it next time.

Lucy wu in China

lucyarliwu said:
RonBee said:
The "it" in the sentence in question refers to a process or an action or a series of actions or a habit. (Take your pick. :wink: )

That's right, Ron, you just speak out what I want to say about 'it'. :)
And as for 'love' used in my proceding line, I guess this word is pretty strong as you said and I will try not to overuse it next time.

Lucy wu in China

You're doing just fine.

:D

spend looks like to be used for money, time....those uncountable thing
can we use it,spend, for others? like times, ...

We don't use 'spend' with 'times' very much- we use it with the uncoutable form when we think of 'time' as a commodity like money. ;-)

You can spend time with somebody or spend time doing something, but "spend times" is unlikely.

Ooops ! sorry guyz i didn't get ur points so can u tell me once again :-?

I have read that we use HOW MANY for Countable things en HOW MUCH for Uncountable things .... is it correct????

Smasher.

Hi, smasher, and welcome. You are right. Here the question is about how much money (uncountable). ;-)

;-) undefined
tdol said:
What's the difference?
We use much for uncountable noun and we use many for countable noun like for example; pen, pencil...

Absolutely. ;-)

I believe that when we say much, we are talking about the amount that you spent. When we say many, we are talking about the pieces. So it doesn't matter if how much, or regardless of the note as long as you count the pieces. I chose much because we use the word spend, like it's asking for a price.;-)

How much [money] did you spend?
money - uncountable noun

How many dimes did you spend?
dime- countable noun

That's right, but notice your spelling:
How much money did you spend?
How many mangos did you buy

Re: much many

Both are correct, aren't they :?:

How much (money) did you spend?
How many (dollars) did you spend?

Sam: We're missing some dough here! (counterfeit dough)
Pat: Uh, I kind of spent some of them to buy us lunch today.
Sam: How many (of them) did you spend?

:lilangel:

what about this one?
I'm confused.:?:

"How much did you spend?"
You have to use much because there is nothing countable here.

Many can be used when it's clear what you spent:
"How many dollars did you spend?"
You can count the dollars.

"How many hours did it take until it got finished?"
You can count the hours.

P.S: Again: Just my opinion!

Edit
Oh, now I see the thread was 1,5 years old... :oops:

Cheers!

Back