Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
I'm trying to understand subtle meanings about the usage of the quantifiers mentioned above. Usually it is taught that "much, many" are mostly used in negative sentences and questions, and "a lot of/lots of" are commonly used in affirmative sentences.
Now please take a look at the following exercise from a test given to my students (I've added the answer key at the end):

Complete the sentences with much, many or lots of (you may also use a lot of, if you prefer).

Ben: How _____________ eggs do you need for the cake, Jalen? (many)
Jalen:
Only three, thank you. Can you give me 500 g butter, please?
Kinga: Oh no, isn’t it too _____________ fat in a cake? (much)
Jalen:
Sorry, I mean 50 g butter. I also need some chocolate chips, I love cakes with _______________ chocolate chips inside! (a lot of/lots of)
Li:
Oh no, we don’t have _______________ cream to decorate the cake! (much)
Kinga:
Hm, we have _______________ fruit. We can decorate it with oranges or blueberries or... (a lot of/lots of)
Jalen:
Good idea! But please don’t use _______________ strawberries, my mum needs them for a dessert tomorrow. (many)

The first two are pretty clear to me, no need to comment. My questions are:
1) Would "many" be correct with chocolate chips in an affirmative sentence? It may be grammatical (many --> countable nouns), but does it sound natural?
2) Would "lots of" be correct with cream in a negative sentence? It doesn't sound natural to me in this context... As if the speaker meant, we don't have a huge amount, but it'll be just enough for the purpose. That is different of saying, we don't have much cream, so it won't be enough for the purpose of decorating.
3) Would "much" be correct with fruit in an affirmative sentence? It may be grammatical (much --> uncountable nouns), but does it sound natural? Note: it is fruit, not fruits.
4) Would "lots of" be correct with strawberries in a negative sentence? Does it still sound natural to native speakers, or would you rather use many? (I know, I would probably say "too many" in this case, but that's how the exercise was written.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. No, "many" doesn't sound natural there. Stick with "lots of" or "a lot of".
2. I don't think any of them fit. I would expect "We don't have enough cream". If "to decorate the cake" wasn't there, I'd use "much" or "a lot of".
3. No. Don't use "much" in an affirmative sentence.
4. "Lots of" is OK with "strawberries". However, "too many" would be more natural.

The problem with these kinds of exercises is that frequently the most natural option isn't one of the choices!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. No, it's not natural. We don't use "many" like that. I very much prefer "a lot of" to "lots of."

2. "Very much" is the natural choice to me. You could use "a lot of."

3. No. We have a lot of fruit.

4. "Too many" is the natural choice. "Many" sounds unnatural. "A lot of" sounds better than "many."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, say: "Don't use too many strawberries."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First, say: "Don't use too many strawberries."
Both SoothingDave and I pointed out that that would be more natural almost an hour ago. However, "too many" wasn't one of the options given.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm curious, bruxinha. Did you create this material yourself?

bruxinha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Germany
I'm curious, bruxinha. Did you create this material yourself?
You got me!
Well, I adapted it from another one, which also had "some" and "any". But I don't want to confuse my students, they've just learned these quantifiers! So I split the text, abridged a bit and recreated two exercises, so that they can use the rules we learned in an easier way.
I'll follow your advice and change the last one to "too many"; the original had "many", indeed... but I'm used to mistakes (and not just typos!) here and there in exercise books made for students, so I decided to ask you first. My intuition was right.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see. Okay, well, I've fixed it for you, and made a few corrections and improvements to the text.

Ben: How _____________ eggs do you need for the cake, Jalen? (many)
Jalen:
Only three, thank you. Can you give me five hundred grams of butter, please?
Kinga: Isn’t that too _____________ fat for a cake? (much)
Jalen:
Sorry, I mean fifty grams. I also need some chocolate chips. I love cakes with _______________ chocolate chips inside! (a lot of/lots of)
Li:
Oh no, we don’t have very _______________ cream to decorate the cake! (much)
Kinga:
Hm, well, we have _______________ fruit. We can decorate it with oranges or blueberries or ... (a lot of/lots of)
Jalen:
Good idea! But please don’t use too _______________ strawberries. My mum needs them for a dessert tomorrow. (many)