[Vocabulary] hot room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Encolpius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello, which of these sentences is correct? do they mean the same? Thanks.

1) The room is hot.

2) There is hot in the room.

Hello, which of these sentences is correct? do they mean the same? Thanks.

1) The room is hot.

2) There is hot in the room.

With sentence 2, you need to remember that "hot" is not a noun, therefore there cannot "be hot in the room". Hot is an adjective. The noun related to it is "heat".

To insert a tick or cross type :tick: or :cross: and they will turn into the symbols :tick: and :cross:.
Another handy one- If you type [STRIKE]example phrase[/STRIKE], it will become [STRIKE]example phrase[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
To insert a tick type :tick: and :cross: and they will turn into the symbols :tick: and :cross:.
Another handy one- If you type[STRIKE]example phrase[/STRIKE], it will become [STRIKE]example phrase[/STRIKE]

[NOPARSE] :up:

With sentence 2, you need to remember that "hot" is not a noun, therefore there cannot "be hot in the room". Hot is an adjective. The noun related to it is "heat".

Thank you for the brilliant explanation.
So can I say: There is heat in the room?
Thanks.

Thank you for the brilliant explanation.
So can I say: There is heat in the room?
Thanks.

We wouldn't normally word it like that, we would say "It's hot in the room".

We might use "heat" in some circumstances, for example:

- We need a bit less heat in that room. Please turn the radiators down.
- It's freezing in here. We could do with a bit of heat so can you go and get the electric heater please?

But normally when talking about the temperature somewhere we use "It's hot/warm/chilly/cold/freezing/roasting etc"

I would understand 'There's heat in the room' as meaning that people were arguing or some other trouble rather than a comment about the temperature because it's not a natural English sentence to describe temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back