Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Turkey
In the movie ''by the gun 2014" I came across this sentence meaning of which sounds obscure to me.
A crew makes you hot.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We need a little more context than that.

Homayun

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Turkey
We need a little more context than that.
I don't know, man. We'd have to give him a beating.
So what?
What we need is our own f*cking crew. Our own crew and we won't be up against the ropes all the f*cking time.
Those days are dead, man. Nowadays, a crew makes you hot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the movie ''By The Gun 2014", I came across this sentence, the meaning of which sounds obscure to me I don't understand.
"A crew makes you hot."
Note my corrections above. Are you sure that "2014" is part of the title of the film? If so, fine. If not, it shouldn't be inside the quotation marks.
I don't know, man. We'd have to give him a beating.
So what?
What we need is our own f*cking crew. Our own crew and we won't be up against the ropes all the f*cking time.
Those days are dead, man. Nowadays, a crew makes you hot.
Please note that I edited your last post to sort out the layout and add asterisks to the swear words. Please do this yourself in future.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. All you've done is give us a bit of dialogue. That's not context. What's happening in this scene? Who are these people? What sort of "crew" appears in the rest of the film? What are they talking about?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea why you reacted to my last post with a "sad face" emoji. Presumably, you have watched the film so it will be easy for you to describe the scene. Without that info, we don't stand a hope of working out what that sentence means.

Homayun

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Turkey
Note my corrections above. Are you sure that "2014" is part of the title of the film? If so, fine. If not, it shouldn't be inside the quotation marks.

Please note that I edited your last post to sort out the layout and add asterisks to the swear words. Please do this yourself in future.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. All you've done is give us a bit of dialogue. That's not context. What's happening in this scene? Who are these people? What sort of "crew" appears in the rest of the film? What are they talking about?
The people talking are two gangsters; one is unaffiliated with mobsters and the other is looking to join a mafia family. They discuss having their own crew not to be up against the ropes and protect themselves.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So are you asking what 'crew' means or what 'hot' means?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Judging by the thread title, the OP wants to know the meaning of hot, not crew. It's current slang for desirable. It's usually used in the sense of sexually attractive, but evidently not in this case. To paraphrase, he's saying that if they had their own crew the mob bosses would give them jobs or assignments to carry out.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
One of the characters says they need their own crew. And then the other person says "Those days are dead, man. Nowadays, a crew makes you hot".

I get the feeling that "hot" suggests "undesirable" in this context. Perhaps he feels having a crew will mark them out, or make them easily identifiable.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps I got it wrong, given the limited context and lack of proper punctuation. It seems that the first speaker wishes they had their own crew, while the second thinks that is no longer possible nowadays. On that interpretation, hot means dangerous or at risk.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It appears from the context that hot means something like 'bringing attention from the police'.

Look at 5a 1 and 2 here:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can also mean warranting attention from the public. I frequently see Facebook posts about stolen cars and motorbikes with the caption "Make this too hot to handle", meaning "Spread this information so far and wide that no one will buy it if they see it for sale (because they'll know it's stolen)".

Status
Not open for further replies.